Academy, starting in Marcy, a place that taught me so much, is hopefully the first of many. The simple goal is to provide people tools to build independence for themselves and then the community around them.
Education is power. Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter and Jack Dorsey are funding The Bitcoin Academy, a program for residents of Marcy Houses, in Brooklyn, New York, where Jay grew up. Designed in collaboration with Crypto Blockchain Plug and Black Bitcoin Billionaire, this program aims to provide education, and empower the community with knowledge.
The vision for Bitcoin is that it doesn’t have barriers, but lack of access to financial education is a barrier. It’s still hard to use for everyday necessities. Plus, people need devices and data plans.
This program aims to provide education, empower the community with knowledge, and get rid of some of the barriers so that residents can learn more about Bitcoin specifically and finance in general.
The Bitcoin Academy is currently focused on Marcy Houses, but we hope to expand to other neighborhoods soon.
- Classes will be offered online and in person from June 22 through September 7. All Marcy residents are welcome.
- In-person classes will take place two evenings per week and dinner will be served.
- Those participating in the program will receive MiFi devices and a one-year limited data plan, plus smartphones if needed. Residents may keep the devices.
- “Crypto Kids Camp” programming will take place on two Saturdays for Marcy kids and teens aged 5-17.
- This initiative is made possible by personal grants from Jay and Jack, with on-the-ground support from Block and the Shawn Carter Foundation.